Saturday, October 02, 2004

My Great Predecessors Part I

I greatly enjoyed this book. But now Garry on his site is telling us that...

http://www.chesschamps.com/diary05.html

My plan is to do revised editions of the first four volumes after we have submitted Volume V. There will be a lot of revisiting Volumes I and II. Volumes III and IV are more or less as I want them but Volumes I and II are not up to the standard of III and IV. I am really proud of the quality of Volumes III and IV. In Volume I I want to add material on Gunsberg, Marshall, Schlechter, Janowski and Boguljubow. All players who played a World Championship match should be covered. I would like to also do more on the early champions, pre-Steinitz but there may be logistical problems with the size of the book. In Volume II we want material on Boleslavsky and Flohr. All the AVRO players should be covered since AVRO was a kind of world championship. We also want to enlarge the section on Keres and polish up Botvinnik and Smyslov who were written in the 90’s.

So he makes some idiotic mistakes ("all players who played a WC match should be covered", well duh!) and those of us who supported this project by buying his book when it first came out are supposed either to shell money out for a new edition of the book or make due with a lesser version of the book? What nerve! Has he been taking lessons from Microsoft?

No comments: